Patriot Pages

• November 911/26-11/30 Yearbooks on sale for $85 in room 411 or www.jostens.com

• November 811/8-11/9 As You Like It Drama Production at 7 p.m.

• November 611/12- Spirit Night for Choir at Shane's

Volleyball Players Dominate Districts

Gracyn Smith and Ansley Ezekiel block the ball.

After Thursday night’s match, the volleyball team took home the District Championship trophy for the second year in a row. Senior Caitlin Retzlaff said, “It’s such an amazing feeling to see all the hard work and dedication pay off, and the ability to win districts with such an awesome team is amazing! ” They defeated the Washington Wildcats in three straight sets.  The set scores were 25-22, 25-16, 25-15.   As a team they served 93% with six aces. Coach Mark Gough said, “To be able to compete with good teams, we have to serve at least 90%. They played as a team. The communication on the court and the bench was very good. The girls played to win which is much better than playing ‘not to lose.'” Percentage wise, senior libero Tayler Beckstrom served well for the team going six for six. She also added nine digs to her stats.  Outside hitter Ansley Ezekiel served 95% going 19 of 20 with four aces, 11 digs and four kills while Danielle Hall, senior, opposite, served 10 of 11.  Hall had four digs, one assist, four kills, and one block.

Junior Gracyn Smith said, “I’m so thrilled to have won Districts two years in a row.  I’m so happy we worked as a team and pulled it out.”  Middle hitter, Smith served 12 of 12 with one ace, one dig, nine kills, and two blocks.  In the second set, senior setter Grace McCammon served eight in a row to lead the game.  At one point the Patriots led 11 to 2 before the Wildcats narrowed the gap to 20-14. McCammon ended the match serving 86% with 13 of 15 including three aces.  She also had six digs, 26 assists, and two kills.  “I am so grateful to have been able to experience this twice in a row.  God blessed me with the best team and sisters for life,” said McCammon.

Livi Bradley, outside hitter and defensive specialist, served 87 %, with six digs, and one kill, and middle hitter Willow Sinkus Blackburn had 12 kills and three blocks to help seal the championship. Maddison Laurendine said, “I am so blessed to be a part of a team who loves each other and playing together,  I’m thankful I was able to experience this two years in a row.”  The team will move on to Regional play this week.  “I’m so excited we won districts for the second year, and we want to go even further this year!” said Sara McVoy.

The Patriots will host the Fort Walton Vikings Wednesday, October 22, at 7:00 p.m. in the Regional Quarterfinals.

About the Photographer