People of Pace

Larry Portillo

Back to Article
Back to Article

People of Pace

Trinity Dean, Staff Member

Every year students who are a part of any choir get the chance to audition to the next level in music known as “All County Chorus.” For most people this is a privilege, but for some an opportunity of a lifetime. Larry Portillo was one of the lucky students who had a chance to experience this once in a lifetime journey.

This advancement doesn’t just happen with a good voice and talent. It happens with many challenges and a lot of hard work. Students first begin with a written exam in which they must use their knowledge for music theory and musical terms. “Once a student passes, he or she goes on to the second round in which they must sing an excerpt of a selected composition,” Portillo said. If the student passes both rounds, then they are offered to be a part of the All Country Chorus. “After a quite exhausting day, we then dress up and sing the selected songs to a large audience who look forward to an astounding concert,” Portillo said.

This opportunity involves tremendous amounts of hard work, dedication, and a love for music. “I really liked doing All County because it’s so cool to sing with other people from other schools who know the same music as you do and for everyone to come together and make music that doesn’t only sound good, but also feels good and shows emotion,” Portillo said. As a senior and his last year in chorus, Portillo leaves with a feeling of victory with the achievements he has made with tremendous amounts of hard work. He also gets to leave knowing that his voice has made a difference.