It’s Electric

It all starts with a spark! Both our Liberator/Patriot Pages and WPHS staff kicked off the 2019 Florida Scholastic Press Association conference with an electrifying start. Journalists from various parts of Florida have gathered in Orlando to share their love for multimedia production and gain insight from various journalism representatives. The three day conference  includes special events such as on the spot contests, workshops, and keynote speakers. This year’s theme is “electrify,” meaning to have an excitement for something.

The first day has just begun and students have already had a good time with friendly competition. “The contests are stressful but it is good experience and can be fun,” Mia Higinbotham from Steinbrenner High School said. Contests range from photography, creative writing, and film. Judging is based on quality of content, creativity, and organization. Most students have all day to turn in good quality work at the end of the night. “I love to support my schools and hear more about what other people who don’t use Jostens like what’s good, what they can better, and what they are interested in,” Steven Wingbermuehle, Jostens representative, said.

Today was filled with a lot of excitement among groups, but the next few days will hold a lot of pressure and struggles to meet deadlines. However, memories will be made not only within a staff,  but among fellow journalists from different publications. “I feel like FSPA as a whole brings our publication together and gives us good bonding experience,” Lilly Bigner from Cooper City High School said. Conventions like these offer lifetime skills and lifetime memories.