Good McDeeds

Aly Bennett and Logan Taylor serve the community by making a visit to the Ronald McDonald House.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Good McDeeds

Cassi Bennett, Copy Editor

Serving others in your community is important as it allows for one to see the circumstances of others and step outside of one’s comfort zone. Whether it be through community events, clubs, or church groups, many students are conscious in changing their communities through service. For example, Logan Taylor and Aly Bennett are a part of a youth group aiming to change their community simply by serving others in both big and small ways.

Both Taylor and Bennett are a part of Woodbine Baptist Church’s youth group. Just recently, the group has made a goal to reach out through service events to people in need in the community. They kicked off their new Sunday Service Nights by making a visit to the Ronald McDonald House on March 3rd. “The Ronald McDonald House is a place that families can stay in when they have a child in the hospital and live out of town. It really impacts the community because it gives people a chance to focus on the needs of their kids rather than paying to stay in hotels,” Bennett said.

During their visit, Taylor and Bennett were responsible for cooking dinner with the rest of their group. “I was responsible for chopping the onions and tomatoes for chili. It went very well and I liked it because it was a good experience to do something for someone else,” Taylor said. Dinner is served at the same time each night at the house. “Dinner always starts at 5:30 so families can come and go as they please. This lets them have time to eat as well as spend time at the hospital or just relax. We didn’t realize that we wouldn’t actually be serving them but most of the families were still up at the hospital so after we finished cooking we got to see how the house was run,” Bennett said.

After the group finished cooking and setting up dinner, an employee of the Ronald McDonald House came to take them on a tour.”During the tour, we got to see that the families do different chores to help out since there isn’t a janitorial staff. We also got to see the storage closet they have which is full of clothes for families that leave everything at home. It was really cool to be able to see that there are other people helping out by giving these families a nice place to stay,” Bennett said. The tour was not only a learning experience, but a chance to realize the goodness of their own circumstances. “The tour opened my eyes to how fortunate we are. I learned that the Ronald McDonald House is more than just a house, it’s a place for families to have a home away from home,” Taylor said.

Following their entire experience at the Ronald McDonald House, both Taylor and Bennett along with their whole youth group plan to return. “I plan on going back with my youth group and doing maybe a movie night or crafts with the kids as well as pick up some of the chores for the families. I feel very motivated to do more volunteer work over there and impact those in need,” Bennett said. Overall, participating in community activities outside of school allows students to grow in perspective. “It made me feel really good and I really enjoyed it. I would love to go back to serve and talk to the families inside the house. It completely changed my view of the house as a whole and my view of the blessing I have whether it be direct or indirect,” Taylor said.