Days at Band Camp

Alyssa Leanza

More stories from Alyssa Leanza

We the Student Body
April 29, 2019
Back to Article
Back to Article

Days at Band Camp

The summer before eager band students enter their freshmen year of high school, they have to go through a rigorous camp called Rookie Camp to teach them the basics of The Pride of the Red, White, and Blue. At the camp, the students worked out in the mornings, practiced marching afterwards, ate lunch, then ended their day by rehearsing their marching season music. Each day, camp ran from 9 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. Besides practicing, the new band members were able to get closer to the older members and find out about all the exciting things they can look forward to in band. Sadie Resmondo, incoming freshman, she feels that getting to know the directors and bonding with the older members was fundamental to the week. “I am a clarinet, and my leader was Maytal. She is a true inspiration and has made me feel very welcomed and pumped for marching band,” said Resmondo.

Rookie camp immerses the newcomers into what band will be, which can be kind of intimidating said Chloa Kriner. “It’s a lot to take in all at once, but it got me excited for the next year,” said Kriner. Resmondo said, “We got a taste of how much effort we had to put into each day.” Rookie camp made the incoming freshman excited for next year’s band and taught them so many things about what band is like at our high school. Resmondo believes all the hard work will pay off and that the newcomers were proud of themselves. “In the end, it was worth it for the family we made in just a few short days and to be able to say, ‘We did it; we survived rookie camp’,” Resmondo said.