Mario Kart Tournament

Madison Snowden

More stories from Madison Snowden

Fearless
April 26, 2019
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mario Kart Tournament

It’s Mario Time.  On October 23, students from every grade level gathered around the media center to compete in SGA’s annual Mario Kart tournament. The objective: to win $50. Students either donated five cans or paid $2 to be entered in the competition. 

To make this event possible, McGreggor Kenninson made sure that everything was organized and running smoothly. He has overseen the Mario Kart tournament for two years. “Helping put together this event for the past two years has been a lot of fun. The best part by far has been watching the last race. Everyone always huddles together around the two people racing. The moment the first person passes the finish line, everyone freaks out,” Kenninson said.  

Around fifteen students participated this year. Despite the intimidation of playing against upperclassmen, freshman, Camryn Pinckard ended up at the top of the leaderboard. “At first, I was not going to enter the tournament, but my friend made me do it,” Pinckard said. After many rounds of playing, she ended up receiving the $50 prize. “I am really glad that I decided to do the tournament. Instead of spending the money right now, I plan on saving it up for a nice camera,” Pinckard said. 

While there was only one recipient of the grand prize, the other contestants still enjoyed competing against their peers. “The tournament was a little hectic this year, but I still had a lot of fun playing with my friends,” Matthitas Stigler said.  

Win or lose, the participants all got to take a few hours out of their day to connect and have fun with their friends. “I am glad that this event has helped provide a way to get all of these people, who would have never interacted before, to come together and bond over a game we all played as kids,” Kenninson said. SGA will continue to host their annual Mario Kart Tournament, so students will have more opportunities to redeem themselves. “I hope to improve my Mario Kart skills before next year by playing against my girlfriend. She is extremely talented at the game,” Stigler said.