Triple Overtime Victory

PC: M. Fendley

The 6A Girls Basketball District tournament kicked off last night at Crestview High School.  The Lady Patriots pulled out a thriller in a triple overtime win over fourth seed and county rival Navarre.  The Patriots had a solid 32-23 half-time lead.  However, the Raiders came back in the second half to send the game into overtime with a regulation score of 59-59.

“We knew going into last night’s game against Navarre that it was going to be a battle.  We had a decent run, but lost our patience and let them back in the fourth quarter,” said junior Violette Skipworth.

The first overtime saw an even battle with each team scoring 6 points.  It looked like the Raiders might pull out the win in the second overtime, but in the last moment senior Katie Brabham hit a free throw to tie it up.

Sophomore Paiten Rivera said, “The best moment of the game was when Katie got the shooting foul with 0.4 seconds left and tied the game so we could go into the third overtime.”

The third overtime belonged to the Patriots as they outscored the Raiders 9-2, with senior Cyla Byrd sealing the deal with two end-of-game layups.

“I was not going to give up.  I have worked too hard these past four years to give it up that easily.  I think that Navarre is a team that also plays their best until the very end of the game, but I also believed that we would come out on top because we put in so much hard work for this moment,” said Byrd.

The final score of 81-74 moves the Patriots to the district championship game.

“The game last night was great.  We never backed down or gave up.  We played the hardest we could for triple overtime.  We told ourselves we have worked too hard to give this up,” said sophomore Hope Zagar.

Skipworth led the team with 30 points while Byrd scored 20, and Brabham added 14.

“I’ve never played a game that went to triple overtime; it was intense and makes me realize why I love this game.  In the end, it came down to heart and who wanted it more.  We never gave up, trusted in each other and came out on top.  We can’t get caught up on last night though.  We’re going to the Ship, and we have to focus on what is important, which is the next game,” said  Skipworth.

Junior varsity basketball player Bria Hill attended the game as a spectator.

“Everyone was involved.  It was probably one of the most exciting games I watched all season.  It makes me more excited to play in hopes to be able to have people support me like that,” said Hill.

The Lady Patriots will take on #2 seed Crestview in the championship game  Friday at 7 p.m. at Crestview High School.