High Demands

Amanda Ates, Staff

Our school has a wide variety of sports and clubs for students to join. One sport that the school doesn’t have is competitive gymnastics. Competitive gymnastics is a sport with many different events. There is floor, vault, uneven bars, and balance beam. Two students that are currently doing competitive gymnastics are Payton Kanis, 9, and Brooke Godwin, 9. They go to First City Gymnastics in Pensacola, and they’ve been there for many years. “I’ve been at First City for about eight years now. I started gymnastics when I was 6. I had too much energy, so my parents put me in gymnastics. I ended up loving it and started competing, ” Kanis said. “I have been doing gymnastics for 12 years, but I have been competing for 4 years. I started gymnastics at 3 years old but started competing when I was 11. My mom just put me in gymnastics, but I ended up really enjoying it and sticking with it,” Godwin said. Gymnastics is a very demanding sport, there are many hours of practice. “We practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 4:30pm to 8:15pm and Saturdays from 9:00am to – 1:00pm,” Kanis said. With Gymnastics not being a school sport, it can be hard to keep up with everything. “It’s not bad doing a sport that’s not at school but it is a lot of work and a lot to keep up with,” Godwin said. Even though being a gymnast has its downfalls it’s different and worth missing all the school activities. “My favorite part of gymnastics is all the close friendships I have with my teammates and traveling for meets,” Godwin said.